I know that blueberries are absolutely amazing (masses of antioxidants, help reduce blood glucose levels and may even help to ward off Alzheimers and dementia).
So I thought if I teamed them with my other favourite superfood, chia seeds (bucketloads of Omega 3 fatty acids, protein and iron), I would be on to a nutrition-packed winner.
makes enough for 1 serve
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds (black or white)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- 1 banana
- handful of baby spinach leaves
- Start out by soaking the chia seeds in a jar with 1/4 cup water. After about 20 minutes, this will turn to a gel.
- Add two tablespoons of this gel to the blender and store the rest in the fridge. Add to smoothies or just eat a spoonful now and again, it’s perfectly pleasant and one of the nicest ways of getting Omega 3s into your diet.
- Add all the other ingredients to the blender and blitz until smooth.